In its 12th year, the event was held at The Event Center at Blue in Bethlehem and honors local businesses that have demonstrated excellence in community service and workplace volunteerism. It provides businesses as well as local nonprofits the opportunity to recognize the impact that employee volunteers have on making a difference in the community.
The following employees and companies were given Spirit of Volunteerism Awards:
• Dale Fairclough, Air Products.
• Crayola – WIN (Women’s Interest Network).
• Concannon, Miller & Co. PC.
• Kristine Ortiz, KLO Events.
• Northampton County Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division.
• Olympus Corp. of the Americas.
• Kristin Blahnik and Sarah Rodriguez, Wells Fargo.
The Volunteer Center began in 1982 and was incorporated in 1985. It collaborates with more than 50 area corporations and 450 Lehigh Valley agencies to create educational and human service partnerships to enhance and enrich the Valley community.
In 1989, the Volunteer Center became an internal department of the United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley and in January 1997 became an independent agency — the Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley.
In 2011, the Volunteer Center recruited, matched, recognized and trained more than 15,500 volunteers.